What Is PERSGA?
PERSGA is the Regional organization for the conservation of the environment in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden; PERSGA is an IGO have seven member states.
PERSGA’s member states include: Djibouti, Egypt, Jordan, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen. The organization is hosted by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
In 1982 the Program was underpinned by a strong legal framework in the form of the Jeddah Convention, formally titled “Regional Convention for the Conservation of the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden Environment”. The Jeddah Convention expresses in clear terms the commitment and the political will of the governments of the region to tackle the marine and coastal environments of the Red Sea and Gulf Aden through joint coordinated activities.
– Climate change mitigation
– Marine Protected Areas
– Capacity Building
– Environmental education and public awareness
– Land Based Activities
– Marine letter
– Marine pollution
“A Healthy environment in the red Sea and Gulf of Aden and a sustainable economic development of coastal and marine resources.”
Emergency Mutual Aid in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden ( EMARSGA )
The legal framework for EMARSGA stems from the Protocol Concerning Regional Co-operation in Combating Marine Pollution by Oil and Other Harmful Substances in Cases of Emergency (1982) together with Jeddah Convention. Under this Protocol, Emergency Mutual Aid Center in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden (EMARSGA) is to be established. A meeting at Alexandria in November 1989 decided that this would be set up at Hurgada, Egypt.
What we do?
– Policy Making… Develop and maintain common environmental objectives and actions for the conservation of marine natural resources in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden.
– Monitoring… monitoring status of sensitive marine ecosystem, and potential source of pollution in the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden and co-ordinate regional conservation efforts.
– Focal Point… providing regional reports on status of the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden and current challenges.
– Capacity Building… conducting regional and local training in different environmental topics aiming to help regional and local experts.
– Coordinating Body… PERSGA coordinate environmental activities between its member countries.
AND MUCH MORE …
PERSGA is an intergovernmental organization governed by a council of ministers handling environmental affairs in each of the seven PERSGA member states. PERSGA council meets every two years to approve technical and financial policies.
The organization’s daily affairs are executed by a secretariat run by a team of professionals recruited from member countries and headed by the Secretary General. The kingdom of Saudi Arabia hosts PERSGA Secretariat and its headquarters in Jeddah, since it was established in 1995.
PERSGA has devised a systems of monitoring and evaluation to ensure the Organization is achieving its programme objectives laid out in the Strategic Action Plan, and to incorporate a system of transparency into project management.